1. At the invitation of His Excellency Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom, President of the Republic of Maldives, His Excellency Xi Jinping, President of the People's Republic of China，paid a state visit to the Republic of Maldives from 14th to 16th September, 2014.
2. During the visit, President Xi Jinping held talks with President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom and met with Speaker of Parliament Honourable Abdulla Maseeh Mohamed. In a warm and friendly atmosphere, leaders of the two countries had an in-depth exchange of views and reached broad consensus on Maldives-China relations as well as on international and regional issues of mutual interests.
3. The two sides were of the view that Maldives-China good-neighborly relations have been growing smoothly since the establishment of their diplomatic relationship and bear fruitful outcomes in mutual-beneficial cooperation. For the sake of upgrading bilateral relations, promoting the wellbeing of the two peoples and peace, stability and prosperity in the region, the two sides decided to establish a Future-Oriented All-round Friendly and Cooperative Partnership.
4. The two sides agreed to maintain the momentum of high-level contact, strengthen dialogues in various areas and at different levels, encourage and support exchanges and cooperation between the two governments, legislative bodies and social groups.
5. The two sides reiterated their support for each other on issues of core interests that bear on sovereignty, territorial integrity, stability and development. The Chinese side adheres to the principle of non-interference in internal affairs, and supports Maldives' independent choice of development path. The Maldivian side reiterated that there is only one China in the world, and supports the efforts made by the Chinese Government to realize national reunification.
6. The Maldives welcomes and supports the proposal put forward by China to build the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road, and is prepared to actively participate in relevant cooperation. The two sides agreed to enhance cooperation in other areas, such as marine, economy, and security.
7. The two sides agreed to establish the mechanism of the Joint Committee of Economic and Trade Cooperation and hold its inaugural meeting within the year, to plan for pragmatic cooperation in different fields and promote the sustainable development of China-Maldives economic relations.
8. The Maldives expressed sincere appreciation to the Chinese side for the long-standing assistance to the Maldives' social and economic development. The Chinese government will continue its assistance to the Maldives, and encourage competitive Chinese companies to invest in the Maldives. The Chinese government will favourably consider providing financing support to the construction of Male'-Hulhule' Bridge.
9. The two sides noted with pleasure that rapid growth of tourism cooperation has strengthened the understanding of the two peoples. The two sides welcomed the airing of The Glamorous Maldives in China and believed that this would help attract more Chinese tourists to the Maldives. China will continue to encourage its citizens to travel to the Maldives, and encourage Chinese enterprises to invest in Maldives tourism industry. The Maldives will improve tourism service and fully ensure the safety of Chinese tourists in the Maldives. The two sides will establish a Joint Meeting Mechanism to deal with the issue of safety of Chinese tourists in the Maldives.
10. The two sides agreed to further enhance exchanges and cooperation in the fields of defence, technology, culture, education, human resources training and health. China will provide the Maldives with more scholarships for students from Maldives to study in China through various channels and provide assistance to Maldivians to study the Chinese Language. China will carry out cooperation with the Maldives in the field of civil service staff-training.
11. The two sides agreed to further strengthen coordination and cooperation in the United Nations and on other multilateral fora, enhance cooperation on global issues including climate change. China is ready to provide human resources training and material assistance to the Maldives on adapting to climate change. The Chinese side welcomed the important role that the Maldives has played over the years on issues of importance to small states, and would continue coordinating with the Maldives on such issues in the international arena.
12. The Maldives expressed the willingness to strengthen cooperation with the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO), which was welcomed by the Chinese side. The Maldives hailed China's contribution to the development of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) and will support China's effort to upgrade its relationship with SAARC.
13. Chinese President Xi Jinping expressed his appreciation to President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom, the Government and people of the Republic of Maldives for the warm hospitality accorded to him and the Chinese delegation, and extended an invitation to President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom to undertake a State visit China at a mutually convenient time. President Yameen accepted the invitation with pleasure.
15 September 2014